Gold Standard Phantoms Limited (GSP) is a startup operating within the medical imaging industry. Its aims are to develop, market and sell calibration standards/test objects (also known as phantoms, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaging_phantom) and services for use in Quantitative Medical Imaging. It is currently on full-scale commercial operations, selling three products, with two additional ones at different stages of development.
We are looking for an individual with strong technical skills to support medical device production. This will require skilled assembly of complex products, as well as operation of CNC and manual machine tools to produce parts to necessary tolerances. We have a workshop equipped with CNC router, 3D printers, laser cutter, CNC lathe, manual machines and hand tools. The post-holder should have experience in CNC manufacture and 3D CAD/CAM software. In addition, the post-holder will be responsible for workshop upkeep, including servicing all of the equipment. This post would ideally suit someone who has technician level training and experience from within industry in small scale batch production and would like to apply those skills in the dynamic, fast moving environment of a med tech start-up.
Main Purpose of Job
- Be part of a small dynamic production team
- Work on the production line of our existing products, including making dedicated parts and fixtures
- Develop, prototype and document production processes.
- To follow work instructions for the fabrication, assembly and testing of our products.
- To manufacture production parts using CNC and manual machine tools (lathe, router, mill, laser cutter) from plastics and non-ferrous metals.
- To design and construct jigs/fixtures/tools to aid product development.
- To provide routine servicing and maintenance of all the workshop equipment.
- To manage the workshop, keep tools organised and keep on top of consumables.
- To maintain well-documented development record where appropriate.
- To help develop workshop practices and policies within the company.
- To manage time and work to strict deadlines.
- To demonstrate excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- As duties and responsibilities change the job description will be reviewed and amended in consultation with the post-holder.
- The post-holder will be asked to carry out any other duties within the scope, spirit, and purpose of the job as requested by the line managers.
- Excellent manual dexterity, with a genuine interest and passion for making.
- Experience with hands on operation of CNC machinery, and the programming of toolpaths using CAM software.
- Experience with manual machine tools such as milling machine, lathe, etc.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to work to a high level of accuracy.
- Experience with 3D CAD software (eg. Fusion 360, Solidworks, Autodesk Inventor).
- Relevant industrial experience.
- Technical aptitude to quickly master new construction or measurement techniques.
- Capable of working to engineering drawings, sketches, or verbal instructions.
- Be driven to accomplish and learn quickly.
- Be smart and have great problem-solving skills.
- Be resourceful, upbeat and enjoy getting things done on a start-up budget.
- Excellent web and computing skills including Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Managing multiple and changing priorities at once.
- A good level of English spelling and grammar.
- Highly motivated.
- Experience with 3D printing.
- Experience in graphic design (eg. Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Inkscape)
- Experience and knowledge of electronics prototyping, for example, the Arduino microcontroller platform.
- Experience in electronics fabrication, for example, detailed soldering of surface mount components.
- Has worked within an ISO 9001 or ISO 13485 quality management system.
- Experience in the design/manufacture of medical devices.
The post is available immediately. It will be offered subject to a probationary period of three months and satisfactory references.
Expected salary £20-£30,000 p.a., commensurate with experience. In addition, the employee will be eligible for share options as per our equity incentive plan. Standard annual leave (25 days). Hours of work: 40 per week.
When applying for this role, please provide your CV along with a cover letter and any examples you have of previous hands-on experience (portfolio if available).
Submissions and direct enquiries about the position can be made to: